Chat live with us
Online Chat



Food Business Notification

In accordance with the Food Act 2001, all food business must notify Council of their food handling operations. Notification to Council makes our Environmental Health Officers aware of all food businesses in the City, but also to make sure that the business owners are aware of their requirements under the Food Act and associated Food Safety Standards.

By notifying Council prior to any food business operations, a pre-opening inspection can be arranged (free of charge) to assist the owner with design/layout advice. In addition, a Food Safety Kit will also be sent which provides the business with relevant food safety information including a copy of the Food Safety Standards.

What are the costs?

There are no costs associated with notifying your food business. Food businesses are subject to routine inspections, generally every 12 months, that do incur a fee.

Routine Inspections & all follow up inspections where non-compliances are identified:

Premises with 20 or less full time food handlers $127.00 (GST not applicable)

Fees are prescribed by the South Australian Food Regulations 2002 and are subject to change.

What you need to know?

If you are a home based food business please see the Home Based Food Business page.

How to notify?

  1. You need to complete a Food Business Notification Form.

What happens next?

Once Council has received your Notification form you will be sent a Certificate of Notification and a Food Safety Information Kit. You can contact the Environmental Health team to organise a pre-opening inspection (free of charge) to assist with design/layout advice and useful tips on food safety and running a food business.

If you don’t have a pre-opening inspection, normally your first routine inspection will take place within a month of your business opening. This is an unannounced inspection that may take place at any time.

Who to call for help?

Environmental Health
Phone: (08) 8408 1111

Other helpful information

Food businesses often discharge waste water that needs to be declared with SA Water. Please see the SA Water Trade Waste page for further information:

New to starting a business? See SA Government - planning a new business for some guidance on where to start and some basic requirements.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand provides helpful links to the Food Safety Standards, labelling requirements, nutrition panel information, and much more.

I’m Alert Food Safety Training is available for free on the Charles Sturt website.

Provide feedback for this page