Chat live with us
Online Chat



To Keep Livestock and/or Poultry

Under Schedule 3 of the Development Regulations 2008, acts and activities that are not development is the keeping of animals, birds or other livestock (other than horses, sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, donkeys and wild animals) solely for domestic needs or enjoyment of the occupants of a dwelling (and land appurtenant to a dwelling), other than the use of land for the keeping of free-flying birds within Area A or Area C described in a map entitled Airport Building Heights if that map is contained in the relevant Development Plan.

If residents are wanting to keep farmyard animals (sheep, cattle, pigs, horses, goats, donkeys and wild animals) in the area they require Development Approval under the Development Act and Regulations 2008 and a Council Permit under the Council’s By Laws.

Council’s By-Law No. 6 – Domestic Livestock Management provides direction on whether livestock can be kept on a property. Livestock can include cattle, goats, camels, horses, sheep, swine, birds, poultry and pigeons. If you intend to keep any of the above on your property, it would be beneficial to request permission prior to obtaining the livestock.

What are the costs?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50.00 which must be paid upon submission of your application.

What do you need to know?

Prior to the Council granting permission the Council must (in addition to any other relevant matters) consider whether:

  • an insanitary condition exists or has existed on the premises as a result of the keeping of animals
  • a nuisance is caused or has been caused to any neighbour as a result of the keeping of animals on the premises or is likely to be caused by the keeping of the livestock
  • there exists sufficient space, shelter on the premises for the keeping of the livestock
  • the livestock can be adequately contained to the premises
  • any other animals are kept or proposed to be kept on the premises
  • any order pursuant to Section 254 of the Local Government Act 1999 has been issued in respect of the premises or the applicant for permission

The property where the livestock is proposed to be housed may be subject to inspection by Councils Authorised Officers.

Consultation may be conducted of residents within the location of the proposed.

Note:  In addition to requiring permission under this by-law, a person may also require approval under the Development Act 1993 to keep certain livestock on residential premises.

If you wish to erect a structure to house or contain animals, it is recommended you check with Council to see if a Development Application will be required. This must be done prior to commencing building works.

Applications will be considered within five (5) business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council.

How to apply?

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur within five business days and will include:

  • confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • investigation of your proposed activity

One of Council’s Community Safety Officers will contact you within five business days to organise a suitable time to inspect your property.

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. 

Who to call for help?

Community Safety
Phone: (08) 8408 1198

Provide feedback for this page