Chat live with us
Online Chat



Footpath Encroachment

A Footpath Encroachment permit is required when you are wanting to:

  • Develop a building or structure that will overhang or be constructed on public land
  • Install/replace veranda or structures over public land
  • Install signage on public land

What are the costs?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $100 for each obstruction over public land which must be paid upon submission of your application.

What do you need to know?

You will need to supply the following information with your application:

  • A copy of the encroachment structure and details of materials.

How to apply?

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur within five (5) to ten (10) business days and will include:

  • confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • investigation of your proposed activity and assessment against Council strategic /policy documents, plans and guidelines as well as Australian Standards.

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. If any changes are made to the conditions, we will issue to you for signing.  Council will keep a copy of the permit and it is advised a copy should be kept and handed over with the sale of any property.

Who to call for help?

Engineering Strategy and Assets 
Phone: (08) 8408 1111

Provide feedback for this page