Chat live with us
Online Chat



Outdoor Dining

Outdoor dining is a very enjoyable pastime within our community.  Not only does the activity add value to a business but also brings vibrancy to the location.  Food and drink businesses that have street frontage may benefit from outdoor dining, however, permit approval is required prior to placement of any outdoor furniture.

To find out whether the option of outdoor dining would be suitable for your business and location, contact Council to organise an on-site consultation with Council’s Permits and Administration Officer who can assist you through the application process.

What are the costs? - REUSE

What are the costs ?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $100 which must be paid upon submitting the application.  On approval of your application, the following Permit Fees will apply:

Licensed Premises $46.00 per chair per annum
Licensed Premises - Casual Rate 10% of annual fee or minimum charge is $60.00 whichever is greater
Unlicensed Premises (non-serviced areas) $15.00 per chair per annum
Licensed Premises - Henley Square $65.00 per chair per annum
Unlicensed Premises - Henley Square $35.00 per chair per annum
Unlicensed Premises - Henley Square - Casual Rate 10% of annual fee or minimum charge is $70.00 whichever is greater
Late Payment Fee (applied when a permit is not renewed within 30 days) $50.00

What do you need to know?

  • In some instances, the establishment of an outdoor dining area may represent ‘development’ under the Development Act.  This permit only covers the placement of moveable tables and chairs within the defined areas.  Examples of where Development approval may be required are:
    • fixed shade and fencing exclusively or customers of the business
    • advertising displayed on items in the outdoor dining area
    • any changes affecting a State Heritage place including painting, planting or minor structures.


  • You will need to supply the following information with your application
    • Certificate of Currency showing a minimum twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) Public Liability Insurance. 
    • Insurance Schedule detailing all inclusions and any exclusions to the Policy.
      Note: Tax invoices are not considered sufficient evidence of a Public Liability Insurance Policy.
    • Sample site plan outlining dimensions of the Outdoor Dining Area


  • If you are proposing to serve Liquor within the proposed outdoor dining area, you will need to provide a copy of your application to Consumer and Business Services (CBS) for their approval.
  • Applications will be considered within twenty one (21) business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council. 
  • The assessment process may identify that Energy Absorbing Bollards (EAB’s) may be required to provide protection to diners in the case of motor vehicle accidents.  Where EAB’s are required, installation will require permission through Council’s Encroachment Permit Application process.  The application must include the installation specifications and site plan.


How to apply?

  1. Call Community Safety to discuss your application & arrange a consultation meeting.
  2. Read the Outdoor Dining Conditions
  3. Complete the Application form

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur/commence within five business days and will include:

  • Confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • Investigation of your proposed activity

Application is placed on the next agenda for Council’s Staff Advisory Group for consideration and decision (the Group meet fortnightly on Tuesdays).

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions.  A Tax Invoice will also be provided for the permit fees and payment must be made within the terms outlined within the Tax Invoice.  Payment can be made electronically by following the link below, or refer to the Tax Invoice for other payment methods.

Who to call for help?

Community Safety 
Phone: (08) 8408 1198

Provide feedback for this page