Chat live with us
Online Chat



General By-Law

Council’s By-Law No. 3 – Local Government Land and By-Law No. 4 – Streets and Roads outline activities that require approval.  Where a particular activity is not covered by a specific application form, the General By-Law Application Form can be used.  Some examples of activities captured under this application form that require permission are:-

  • Dig soil/sand for the purpose of collecting worms/shellfish/grubs/insects
  • Pick or prune any plant, flower or other vegetation
  • Pick fruit, nuts or berries from any tree or bush
  • Use of motorised boat in West Lakes Lake (not part of an event)
  • Conduct a public exhibition or display

What are the costs?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50.00 which must be paid upon submission of your application.  On approval, the following Fees will apply:

Replacement Permit or Extension of duration (before permit expiry date) $15.00 per permit


What do you need to know?

  • If a vehicle will be involved in the proposed activity you will need to apply for a Vehicle Access to Council Reserve/Foreshore permit.
  • If a boat will be involved in the proposed activity, the maximum sized motor allowed is between
    50-60 hp.  All boats must be registered.  If unregistered boats are used this will constitute a breach of the permit conditions.
  • Depending on the activity you are conducting Public Liability Insurance may be required with a minimum amount of ten (10) million dollars ($10,000,000).  You will be notified in writing if insurance is required.
  • Applications will be considered within five (5) business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council. 


How to apply?

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur within five (5) business days and will include:

  • Confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • Investigation of your proposed activity

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. 

Who to call for help?

Community Safety 
Phone: (08) 8408 1198

Provide feedback for this page